Teachers regularly work 50-60 hours a week – well above their contracted hours. Why? Which of the following statements do you relate to?
1. I don’t work 50-60 hours a week. Are you all insane? Not sure I am actually a teacher.
2. I don’t work 50-60 hours a week. I work 60 hours+
3. I love my job so much I don’t mind how many hours I work.
4. My social life is rubbish. School work is my social life.
5. I don’t have kids so I keep busy with school work.
6. I want to be promoted. I’m working my socks off.
7. I have always worked hard throughout my own education. I’m not used to failing so I just do the hours I need to do in order to succeed, however stressful it is.
8. I have control issues and have to do everything to feel better. I can’t relax unless it’s all done and organised super efficiently.
9. I live in fear of being criticised. It affects my confidence and self-esteem. I can’t afford to get something wrong so I do above and beyond to stay in SLT’s good books.
10. I have an unhappy home life so I work as much as I can. It’s convenient.
11. I am on a support plan and working all hours to convince SLT I am not crap.
12. It’s become a habit. It’s just something I do. I don’t know how to relax anymore.
13. I am very slow at my work. I need to work so many hours to keep up.
14. My workload is completely enforced upon me by my SLT. I hate it but have to do it. .